> So is it useful if I try to compile Lyx on my own on
> 10.6? Or would this end up in the same crashing behaviour?

I think it is useful, but I think you'll see the same crashing
behaviour.

>There are some changes/workarounds to do in the source
>code first, right?

The first thing you might try is to adapt the following code:

194--...@forkedcalls.cpp:

pid_t ForkedProcess::fork() {
#if !defined (HAVE_FORK)
        return -1;
#else
        pid_t pid = ::fork();
        if (pid == 0)
                IAmAChild = true;
        return pid;
#endif
}

If you undefine HAVE_FORK (or just always return -1), you can see
whether (all) crashes disappear. If so, we have at least a workaround.

Everything should still work, but you might be interrupted in your
typing when LyX saves the autosave file using the same thread.

Vincent