Julio,

Julio Rojas wrote:
Thanks Paul, I've tried it but the first column is right aligned and
the third is left aligned.

In the alignat* example? Shouldn't be -- the alignment alternates right-left-right, so the first and third columns should have the same alignment. Note that the first column is intentionally left empty, so that the 'maximize' and 'subject to' are in the second column (and hence left-aligned).

I'm kind of new on the subject and the
references I have from a friend make them left and right aligned,
respectively. Is there an standard way of aligning them?

I'm not sure there's a generally accepted standard. I like to put the keywords (maximize, s.t.) in one column, the objective function and LHS of constraints in a second column, the constraint direction (=,<,>) in a third column, the RHS in the fourth column and any indexing stuff in a fifth column, so I usually use eqnarray (critics be damned). If I'm going to use alignat, then I'll put max/s.t. in column 2 (left aligned), the LHS _and_ =/>/< in the third column (right aligned), the RHS in the fourth column (left aligned) and indexing in the fifth column (right aligned), which should work pretty well (it avoids gratuitous space in the middle of the constraints).

I guess it's a matter of taste (unless the constraints get long enough that eqnarray sends the equation numbers into another galaxy).

/Paul

Julio Rojas
jcredbe...@gmail.com