goodkeys schrieb:

I'm a noob and have just made my way through the references and tutorials of
Lyx. Now i'd like to use the Classic Thesis template

I recently tried to create a layout file for this style but gave up. Classicthesis is not a document class but extends the document class "report (KOMA-skript)". Unnecessarily it redefined major environments like title, author so that the LyX file would be full of LaTeX command and preamble code.

> found here
> (http://www.soundsorange.net/resources/classic-thesis-for-lyx/) but i just
> wasn't able to find out how to install and use this multifile template.

Just download the zip-file and extract it. Finally open the file "ClassicThesis.lyx" with LyX and start writing. When you view the file as PDF for the first time. MiKTeX or TeXLive will install the needed LaTeX-packages. If you get errors that a .sty file could not be found you need to install this file manually to your LaTeX distribution - this is complicated for a new user. If you can view the file as PDF, you can start writing your thesis but be aware that you need to know LaTeX or at least own a book about it, because the Classicthesis LyX files are using many LaTeX commands. You can later only change the style of your thesis when you know what these commands are doing.

Besides this, I also created a thesis style based on the class "book (KOMA-skript)". I tired to avoid as many LaTeX commands and preamble code as possible. It works without the need to install further LaTeX-packages. You might give it a try by downloading the LyX files from here:
http://fkurth.de/uwest/LyX/ThesisTemplate/Diss-Template.zip
(I'm interested in feedback.)

regards Uwe