On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Liviu Andronic wrote:

I am trying to figure which Sans and Typewritter fonts to use in
combination with Palatino (or the TeX Gyre Pagella extension).

Liviu,

That's an interesting question. I use Palatino as my default typeface and leave the sans and typewriter choices as 'default.' It has never been an issue for me because Palatino is a serifed typeface and I had not assumed that there was a san-serif version. In my documents I don't use a sans-serif
typeface, and the incidental code can be in any monospace typeface.

Rich

In his wonderful book The Elements of Typographical Style, Robert Bringhurst suggests "pair[ing] serifed and unserifed faces on the basis of their inner structure." And he goes on to give examples: one might pair a modern geometric serifed face like Berthold Bodoni with a geometric unserifed face like Futura. Now Palatino is based on Renaissance humanist forms -- it looks like its written with a broad- nibbed pen -- and it would not mix well with Futura, for example. But it might mix well with Syntax, say, which is an unserifed face also based on Renaissance forms.

Bruce