I'm no unix geek, but if the kernel version is enough, that can be found by parsing the output of "uname -a" or "hostinfo". I'm sure there are better ways of doing this, but I just wanted to add my 5 cents to this discussion (not notally selfless, though: I am eagerly waiting for this issue to be solved to move to snow leopard ;-) - SB