On 2009-11-10, Stefano Franchi wrote:

>>This is wrong! PNG is as well as JPG or GIF a bitmap graphic. the difference
>> is inly the compression method.

Actually, only the (omitted) conclusion (PNG is a vector graphic) is wrong!

Screenshots are bitmaps, so the tip to use png instead of jpeg does not
imply this.

>>Only PDF and SVG are vector graphics. EPS is also a vector graphics format
>> but many EPS images are only wrapped bitmap images.

> Isn't the same true for PDF? You can wrap bitmap files in it, I think
> (e.g.  when scanner software offer a "Save as pdf" option). File format
> in itself is not necessarily an indication of bitmap vs. vector
> graphics.

All of PDF, PS, EPS, and SVG can contain bitmaps. So the file format can
only be used to rule out vector format (a PNG or JPEG cannot contain
vector image).

Günter