Giulio Morello <giulio.more...@...> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am working with Lyx and my co-author is using SWP. The problem we have is
that he is not able to open
> Lyx-exported tex files (plain latex) into SWP.
> There's no tables, figures, or strange things inside my tex files, just text
and equations.

> I serched around the internet but found no useful info. Do you know what can
we do for having SWP read tex files
> created in Lyx?
>
> (really would like to keep using Lyx and not switching to SWP...)
>
> Best,
> Giulio Morello

Hi Giulio,

I have also had a similar problem.  I love LyX and think it is a far superior
product to Scientific Word/Workplace.  Under most circumstances I would not use
SWP over LyX even if you paid me!

That being said, it is often difficult to convert long-term users of SWP because
they may be familiar with the keyboard shortcuts, have painstakingly already
learned the little tricks the product requires to get things done the way you
want, and have already learned the keyboard shortcuts.

My experience is that importing a SWP portable tex file into LyX is not too
difficult.  However, going from LyX to SWP is a bit of a challenge.

One problem is that if SWP does not like a file you are trying to import, it
uses up 100% of the CPU doing who-knows-what and the only way to stop it is to
kill the process in the task manager.  Any decent application would simply
return an error message.

Another problem I have is that SWP does not like some latex commands.  I think
that \\tabularnewline in a table is one of them (causing the above problem).

When working on a document where a colleague is steadfast on using SWP, my
strategy has been to abandon LyX and use his program.  What I tend to do is have
SWP and LyX open.  I also use notepad++ to view the .tex file of the SWP paper
and "show source" in LyX.  I copy and paste little chunks from LyX into the SWP
.tex file and check that SWP liked it.  If not, I try to create a simple example
in SWP, see how SWP likes it coded, and then adapt my LyX/Tex code to the way
SWP likes it.  It is a pain but you quickly learn what SWP wants and how to get
your LyX document into its format.  Once I have moved my document to SWP I
continue to use it with my co-author.

In the best of worlds your co-author would see the light and move to LyX.
Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easy way to use the two simultaneously
(one main reason is the SWP has its own TCIMACRO comment lines which perform
various actions within the program that are not latex code).  One of you will
have to give in and use the other's favourite typesetting package.

If anyone else has thoughts/experience/solutions, I would be interested.

Regards,
Ken