On 11/23/2009 09:00 PM, tedc wrote:
I am writing a document about a programming environment that uses multiple
character styles.
0. Plain roman is used for ordinary index entries
1. Italicized roman characters are used for names of mathematical variables
and parameters
2. Typewriter is used for source code keywords
3. Sans serif is used for names of GUI tools in the programming
environment's "rad toolkit"

Usage throughout the body of the document is consistent. However, at present
only plain roman appears in the index generated by LyX. How can I ensure
that the index preserves these character formats?

Any formatting you use in the index entry itself should be preserved in the index. In 1.6.x, you can just enter that formatting as you would in normal LyX text. If you're using 1.5.x, then you have to enter it manually, as LaTeX.

Richard