On 02/01/2010 03:44 PM, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
rgheck wrote:
Ah yes, I did that in an equation and it is almost exactly what I want
- just need to be able to edit the text. Without looking at the code,
it doesn't look like you'd have to do much to make it editable. I
might have a go some time.
It's harder than you think, in the general case, because *reading* the LaTeX back is not trivial. In the math case, however, it isn't so hard, and it'd be easier to do it in the editing pane. All you have to do is have a special mode where LyX displays the raw LaTeX, which it knows how to generate. This would be kind of like the "preview" mode, where it displays a little picture. Switching back to "LyX" mode would then read the LaTeX---LyX knows how to do this in the math case---and display the LyX form.

One question: isn't it possible to handle this case like the other external-material objects ?

I mean, imagine you define another kind of external-material object, the "External Equation" type (e.g., a '*.eq' file), imagine you associate a text editor to such a type, and imagine you define a set of filters which just invoke externally LaTeX for computing the .eps of the file for both preview and print purposes. This way, for example, clicking on the image of the equation, would pop-up the external text editor on the .eq file, and after exiting it would be updated on the screen.
Wouldn't you achieve exactly what this user is looking for ?

I think this might be useful in some cases, assuming you just included the LaTeX, rather than an image. But my thought was that it should actually be fairly easy to switch back and forth between LaTeX mode and LyX mode, which many people might like. And then you can do this right inside LyX.

Richard