-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Hutt [mailto:tdh...@gmail.com]
Sent: Mon 2/1/2010 7:54 PM
To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Editing equations as latex rather than graphically.

>Hi, I've searched but I can't find an answer: Is it possible to edit
>the source latex code of equations rather than edit the equations in a
>graphical way? I much prefer this method for equations and in my mind
>it is one of the things that makes latex superior to for example, MS
>Word.
>
>If this isn't a feature I'd suggest something like CTRL-clicking on an
>equation (also accessible by right-click->Edit Source) shows you the
>source of the equation and lets you edit it.

Others have shown you ways of converting a lyx equation to latex.

However, if you prefer to keep your math in tex form all the time,
just use the ERT inset. Into it you can write any valid latex, including
latex math. And unlike the math inset, it will stay latex code forever.
Except in the output, where it obviously will be rendered.

Two ways to test the validity of such latex code:
1. view->pdf. Simple, but slow if you have a big document
2. Put the cursor first in the tex-box, hit delete to dissolve it.
   The latex code becomes normal text. Mark it, and hit ctrl+M to
   see if it turns out right. Afterwards, hit "undo" a few times
   so you get your ERT inset back exactly as it was.

You don't need to use the LyX math editor if you don't want to,
even if you write math in LyX.

Helge Hafting