You could copy the layout file corresponding to your documentclass, modify
that changing your fontsize etc., possibly introduce a new section and map it
to the appropriate latexname, and use that as your layout. This is quite
simple and the learning curve should take you a couple of days at most.

Before you do this, check to see if your document class provides support for
acknowledgements, directly or indirectly. With the layout file approach you
might be able to create an Acknowledgements section which is a combination of
a section with custom formatting info (like heading level, style,  etc.)
which.

One of the lyx help manuals (Customization?) documents this procedure very
well.

-- Manoj