On 04/04/2010 18:30, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 4/4/2010 7:56 AM, Micha wrote:
How do I get undersets not to make the spacing of the equation wrong
when the width of the underset is wider than the equation?

doing $a+\underset{description}{underbrace{b}}+c$ comes out as
a+ b +c
}
description

instead of

a+b+c
}
description

thanks

I suspect what you want is the following (in a math inset):

1. type \underset (space);
2. in the upper box of the inset, type \underbrace (space);
3. enter the formula in the innermost inset;
4. enter the description in the bottom space.

/Paul

That is what I'm doing, the problem is that the spacing is all wrong. The reply ruined the spaces so I'll use underscores instead. Using your method I get

_____ description

While what I want is

a + b + c
___ }
description

here, _ are spaces and } denotes the underbrace (which is supposed to be only under b)

I remember seeing a solution a couple of years back or so on this list so I know it's possible, but can't find it anymore.