On 4/4/2010 1:14 PM, Micha wrote:
On 04/04/2010 18:30, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 4/4/2010 7:56 AM, Micha wrote:
How do I get undersets not to make the spacing of the equation wrong
when the width of the underset is wider than the equation?

doing $a+\underset{description}{underbrace{b}}+c$ comes out as
a+ b +c
}
description

instead of

a+b+c
}
description

thanks

I suspect what you want is the following (in a math inset):

1. type \underset (space);
2. in the upper box of the inset, type \underbrace (space);
3. enter the formula in the innermost inset;
4. enter the description in the bottom space.

/Paul

That is what I'm doing, the problem is that the spacing is all wrong.
The reply ruined the spaces so I'll use underscores instead. Using your
method I get

a + _____ b ______ + c
_________ }
_____ description

While what I want is

a + b + c
___ }
description

here, _ are spaces and } denotes the underbrace (which is supposed to be
only under b)

I remember seeing a solution a couple of years back or so on this list
so I know it's possible, but can't find it anymore.

Putting the underbrace under just the b is easy. If 'b' is replaced by a sufficiently long expression, the brace will stretch to the width of the expression, but if 'b' is literally one character, the brace will be wider than b. Are you asking how to make the brace narrower? I don't know if that can be done.

If you're doing what I wrote before (but with the brace only under b) and there's extra space surrounding b that annoys you, I suspect it's from the brace, not from the description.

As a side note, I noticed that when putting the brace under b only, sometimes the space between + and c was short-changed. That can be corrected by inserting space manually.

/Paul