Thanks all,

Looks like the problem may have to do with my nvidia drivers.
Compositing is Xrender, openGL doesn't work. No idea why (nvidia drivers
185, geforce 8400 gs)

Following up on a tip on the google search suggested in this thread,
I  added Option "FramebufferCompression" "false" to device section in
xorg.conf. Then logged out and back in.
This seems to have fixed the speed. For now.

If it comes back, I'll try compiling a newer version or upgrading.

Best,
-Jose

Jose Quesada, PhD.
Max Planck Institute,
Center for Adaptive Behavior and Cognition,
Berlin
http://www.josequesada.name/
http://twitter.com/Quesada