Am 24.10.2010 09:18, schrieb sherif helmy:

I recently downloaded Lyx version 1.6 after installing MikTex. When I start Lyx
and choose any template an error message is displayed. The title of the message
is: Document class not available.

It seems that you haven't had an open Internet connection whyn you installaed LyX. Therefore log in to Windows with administrator permissions, open an Internet connection, open LyX and use the menu Tools -> Reconfigure. This will install automatically all LaTeX-packages supported or used by LyX.

As you are using IEEEtran, assure that you have LyX 1.6.7. Older LyX versions contain outdated IEEEtran support.

regards Uwe