Bruce Pourciau <bruce.h.pourciau <at> lawrence.edu> writes:

> When I cross reference a figure float called Figure 2, the cross
> reference yields 2.1 rather than 2. What am I doing wrong?

Have a look at Document > Settings... > Modules, and if "Number Figures by
Section" is in the "Selected:" box, highlight and delete it.  I think it gets
selected automagically with certain document classes, such as article (AMS).
With article (AMS), the figure is also numbered 2.1 (including in the GUI), so
I'm not positive that's what's going on with your document.  If not, try posting
a minimal example.

/Paul