On 2011-01-18, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 18.01.2011 um 11:17 schrieb Christian Wilhelmsen:

>> We have to close LyX each time we want to open an updated document, or
>> else you just get the copy that is stored in memory... Tried removing
>> auto-backup, if that was the problem, but no.

> With your use case I would ask for a buffer (file) reload menu item.

There is one already. (Mis)named "File>Revert to Saved" (and greyed
out if there is no change to the open document).

So, to update to the file version,

* make sure there are no valuable changes in the open document.

* do a "dummy change".

* Go to File>Revert to Saved

* A warning pops up, saying "All changes will be lost ..."

  Think twice but be brave: actually only changes to the buffered
  document will be lost, while changes to the saved version would be
  overwritten if you saved your "dummy change".

  Select [Revert] (again misnamded in this case, should be [Update])
  and press Enter.

There is a very old bugreport about this issue already, maybe closed as
wontfix or rejected.

Günter