On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM, stefano franchi
<stefano.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am helping a friend setting up Lyx on her Mac, and I cannot find a
> way to set up either Acrobat Reader or Preview.app to automatically
> reload the pdf upon update. I am no longer familiar with the Mac
> environment, I am afraid. Two questions:
>
> 1. Do Acrobat Reader and Preview.app (latest versions for both)
> support auto-reload?
>
> 2. If so, is there any specific trick to be used either in their
> respective preference panels and/or in Lyx's preferences (in File
> Viewer, I mean)?

Preview.app, version 5.0.x (which comes with OS X 10.6.x) is able to
reload pdfs and does that automatically. As I recall, earlier versions
did not do that. However, even when Preview.app 5.0 reloads a pdf, it
also resets the view to the first page, no matter what page you had it
on previously.

I have no real experience with Adobe Reader.

An excellent alternative to Preview.app is Skim.app. TeXShop.app also
works (but takes some fiddling in preferences to set it up for an
external editor).

BH