On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 05/15/2011 08:48 PM, Venable wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have written a couple of cygwin scripts to automate some time-consuming
>> repetitive tasks and would like to be able to run these from within LyX, for
>> example via a keyboard shortcut or a customized button on a toolbar. Is this
>> sort of thing possible? If so, does anyone have advice on how to set it up?
>>
>> As an example, I like to use the pdfpages package to include external
>> pdfs. However, I often use relative paths (e.g. when collaborating with
>> co-authors on Dropbox and the like), and as we know LyX cannot handle this
>> because of all the copying to temporary directories and so on that LyX
>> prefers. So, I've written a very simple script to export the lyx file to tex
>> and then compile using miktex. It would be great if I didn't have to fire up
>> CygWin and type in the command and filename - rather, I'd prefer to
>> designate a keyboard shortcut or menu option within LyX that would tell
>> cygwin to run the script and pass it the current filename.
>>
>>  The only real way to do this, so far as I know, is to define a converter
> that will call your script. This converter might, for example, replace
> pdflatex as a LaTeX-->PDF converter. There are a number of ways to do this,
> so the best way will depend on the details.
>
> rh

Dear Richard,

Thanks a lot for this comment. What are some of the alternative ways to
define a converter, and what are the sort of details that would be useful to
know in deciding?

This particular task is incredibly simple (export to tex, compile), and I'm
not necessarily wedded to using CygWin, that's just what I happen to be most
comfortable with.