OK, I now have the document I'm trying to open and convert on the Desktop,
so there are no spaces in the path to it.

When I open the document with LyX 1.6.7 I get the error message "Document
class not available", and the further information that the file
article.layout is not usable.  Proceeding with 1.6.7, the document comes up
and can be modified, but when I try to convert it I get the error message
"Couldn't export file".  (Yesterday at this point I got the error message
"Cannot convert file  An error occurred whilst running phython -tt".  This
message doesn't appear today.)

It's surely noteworthy that until a few days ago I had been using LyX 1.6.7
without problems for about a year.  I don't know of any recent changes to
the computer.

When I open the document with LyX 2.0.0 I get the same error message,
"Document class not available", and the further information that it wants me
to install "article.cls".   Unfortunately I don't understand the information
given there on how to install the package files.  Proceeding with 2.0.0, the
document comes up and can be modified, but when I try to convert it I get
the error message "File name error", which says that the directory path to
the document can't contain spaces.  This appears in spite of the fact that
the document is now on the desktop.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill Hanson