On 08/14/2011 03:32 PM, Bruce Pourciau wrote:
> I have a document in the Article (Elsevier) class, with Natbib
> Author-Year selected under Bibliography and \usepackage{natbib} in the
> preamble. I have a bibtex generated bibliography using the .bst style
> file of the journal which is in the folder with my document.
>
> The bibliography is coming out fine, but the citations in the text
> should be, say, [Newton, 1999, 407] and I'm getting a numerical style
> with no brackets: 12, 407.

This is almost always due to a problem in the BibTeX file, e.g., a
missing year somewhere, or possibly a Unicode character that is messing
things up. Exporting to LaTeX and running everything manually from a
terminal:
    latex myfile
    bibtex myfile
should help. Error messages from the latter are what to look for.

Richard