Thanks, after pasting in the text and then examining it I was able to
figure out the correct approach. It appears my earlier alignment
difficulty stemmed from placing the equals sign in its own column. Now
I create a four-column structure in the align environment, with
equation= in the first column, equation in the second column, nothing
in the third column, and the annotation in the last column. This gets
me exactly what I had in pure LaTeX, which makes sense.