On 09/11/11 07:56, Stephan Witt wrote:
However, it seems to me to have a deficiency, and I'm hoping it is just a
configuration issue:

If my document contains e.g. the mathematical term "d-dimensional", the LyX spellchecker
will treat this as a single word and complain, instead of considering it as a combination of two
words to be checked independently. In the latter case I would only be forced to add "d"
to the list of words, and all would be well.

Is there a way to make this Enchant spellchecker understand that it should only
check each word separately when they are connected by a hyphen?

When I'm using Hunspell as backend for LyX's spell-checker I don't have your
problem.
I don't know if it's the same with Enchant as a "relay"... but you may give it
a try
and configure Hunspell as your Enchant spell-checker engine.

Stephan

Thanks Stephan!

I tried what you suggested, but it didn't seem to improve the situation. The long store:

I installed hunspell, but wasn't able to select it directly in the LyX preferences for some reason, even after "Reconfiguring" and restarting. Also, the hunspell field in the Paths-configuration inside the preferences was always greyed out.

Hunspell works on the command line, though. So I had to stay with enchant in LyX. According to the enchant documentation, a file enchant.ordering can be placed in ~/.enchant/. I did this, and have tried:

*:aspell

or

*:hunspell

(not at the same time, though).

But in both cases I get the same problem with the hyphenated words. I wish there was some way of asking enchant which spellchecker it is actually using, but I cannot find this in its documentation (the man page). But then I uninstalled aspell, and as far as I know, hunspell is then the only spellchecker left on my system, so I guess enchant is obeying my configuration file, or otherwise it wouldn't work at all.

But as mentioned, using hunspell in this way did not improve the situation, unfortunately. Did you need to edit some hunspell configuration file or specify some special options somewhere?

Also, it seems to complain about some very common things like "i.e.". It only complains about the "i", so I'm not sure how to add the whole "i.e." to the dictionary by using the LyX spellchecker dialogue.

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen