Am 09.11.2011 um 12:01 schrieb Torquil Macdonald Sørensen:

> On 09/11/11 07:56, Stephan Witt wrote:
>>> However, it seems to me to have a deficiency, and I'm hoping it is just a
>>> configuration issue:
>>>
>>> If my document contains e.g. the mathematical term "d-dimensional", the LyX
>>> spellchecker will treat this as a single word and complain, instead of
>>> considering it as a combination of two words to be checked independently.
>>> In the latter case I would only be forced to add "d" to the list of words,
>>> and all would be well.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make this Enchant spellchecker understand that it should
>>> only check each word separately when they are connected by a hyphen?
>>

>> When I'm using Hunspell as backend for LyX's spell-checker I don't have your
>> problem.
>> I don't know if it's the same with Enchant as a "relay"... but you may give
>> it a try
>> and configure Hunspell as your Enchant spell-checker engine.
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> Thanks Stephan!
>
> I tried what you suggested, but it didn't seem to improve the situation. The
> long store:
>
> I installed hunspell, but wasn't able to select it directly in the LyX
> preferences for some reason, even after "Reconfiguring" and restarting. Also,
> the hunspell field in the Paths-configuration inside the preferences was
> always greyed out.

That's a consequence of the missing Hunspell support at compile time of LyX.
I don't know what Linux-distribution you're using and how you got the
LyX-package...
Obviously the maintainer configured it for Enchant only. :(

In case you're using you self-made LyX, you have to install the development
package for Hunspell too.
This is a prerequisite for building LyX with Hunspell support.

> Hunspell works on the command line, though.

Unfortunately, this is of no use. LyX is calling Enchant.

> So I had to stay with enchant in LyX. According to the enchant documentation,
> a file enchant.ordering can be placed in ~/.enchant/. I did this, and have
> tried:
>
> *:aspell
>
> or
>
> *:hunspell
>
> (not at the same time, though).
>
> But in both cases I get the same problem with the hyphenated words. I wish
> there was some way of asking enchant which spellchecker it is actually using,
> but I cannot find this in its documentation (the man page). But then I
> uninstalled aspell, and as far as I know, hunspell is then the only
> spellchecker left on my system, so I guess enchant is obeying my
> configuration file, or otherwise it wouldn't work at all.
>
> But as mentioned, using hunspell in this way did not improve the situation,
> unfortunately. Did you need to edit some hunspell configuration file or
> specify some special options somewhere?

This I cannot answer. I didn't test the enchant route of spell-checking.
But from what you are describing I'd guess enchant is doing it's own
preprocessing...

> Also, it seems to complain about some very common things like "i.e.". It only
> complains about the "i", so I'm not sure how to add the whole "i.e." to the
> dictionary by using the LyX spellchecker dialogue.

Try to get a LyX with "native" Hunspell support if possible. Is it possible?

Stephan