Damn - again only reply instead of reply to...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rainer M Krug <r.m.k...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: Lualatex and Lyx.
To: Rob Oakes <lyx-de...@oak-tree.us>

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Rob Oakes <lyx-de...@oak-tree.us> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:51 AM, stefano franchi wrote:
>
> >> Could you point to some specific instructions? I've always wanted to
> >> try this, but never quite made the first step. I may first test it in
> >> a Virtual Machine.

> > 1. Uninstall all the tex-related packages from the system via synaptic
> >
> > 2. Download the texlive installer from tug:
> > http://tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
> >
> > 3. Install a full distribution
> >
> > 4. I had to play around a bit with system paths to instruct linux to
> > get to the tex binaries, man pages, etc.  (I just followed the
> > instructions provided in texlive installation instructions)
> >
> > 5. Since Lyx 2.0 was not out yet when the project started (although it
> > came out toward the end of its life), I stuck with Lyx 1.6.7 and
> > followed the instructions to use LuaTeX from LyX's wiki.
>
> To that, I would add an additional piece of advice: compile LyX from
> source or install a non-packaged binary. In Ubuntu, if you try and install
> LyX from the package manager, it will download all of the associated LaTeX
> packages as well. This can be a tremendous pain because you'll have two
> versions of everything installed and you need to manually manage the
> packages.

I completely agree - that is exactly what I did, and I remember the
dependency.

But actually, LyX in Oneiric does only RECOMMENDS LaTeX - I have LyX
installed and no LaTeX under the Ubuntu package management system (only i
my home folder completely under my control.).

So: Install texlive in your home directory and lyx from the repo. But from
source has other advantages.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Having two LaTeX distributions can be done (see
> http://blog.oak-tree.us/index.php/2010/07/15/latex-custom for a
> description of how), but it's a pain. It's much better to have a single
> LaTeX distribution installed alongside LyX.
>
> > I had some problems with biblatex/biber (which I also used instead of
> > bibtex) but no problems with Lualatex.
>
> I'd be really interested in hearing about using biber and biblatex. I'm
> really interested in moving away from bibtex to something else, and I've
> heard really good things.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)