On Nov 18, 2011, at 9:23 AM, Helge Hafting wrote:

> I found it easier to have two latex distributions. I have lyx and texlive
> from debian, as well as a direct install of texlive-2011. There is nothing to
> manage - the direct install of texlive takes precedence because it is earlier
> in my PATH.

True, but you still have to set up the path. Which, if you're comfortable with
Unix, isn't very difficult. However, I've got a number of friends and
colleagues using LyX, and not all of them are comfortable with the esoteric art
of editing BASH profiles or modifying system environment variables.

Does the TeX live installer modify the path for you? If so, I'll recant
everything I said about it being a pain. (I haven't updated my LaTeX install in
a while. I mostly just update packages that I want. And even there, I've gone
to using my own custom packages for nearly everything, mostly based on memoir.)

> Debian's texlive waste some disk space, that's all. The advantage is that
> other dependencies is satisifed automatically, such as spellchecker and qt.
>
> If I removed the packaged lyx, then debian might someday throw out other
> stuff I need.

I generally solve this problem by using:

sudo apt-get install build-dep lyx

This downloads all of the other dependencies without downloading LaTeX. Then i
don't have to worry about these getting uninstalled, and I can use LyX built
from source. (Which matters because I've been testing the outline additions,
and it makes updating other people's install of LyX-Outline rather than having
to package it, which I haven't had time to work out.)

Cheers,

Rob