Am Dec 8, 2011 um 1:02 PM schrieb Eric Weir:
> On Dec 7, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Richard Heck wrote:
>
>> On 12/07/2011 10:28 AM, Eric Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought in trying to get the formatting capabilities I want by making as
>>> few changes to existing formatting documents I would study a few to see if
>>> I could understand what is going on and figure out which one[s] might work
>>> for me, but I can't find them, either in the home or root directory.
>>>
>>> Pointers would be appreciated. I'm on a Mac with OS X 10.6.8.
>>
>> If you search for the file "article.layout", using whatever file search
>> facilities OSX provides, that is where the others will also be.
>
> Weird. I searched for this using Path Finder, Finder, and Spotlight. Didn't
> show up in any of them.

Finder uses the Spotlight database and I suspect Path Finder does as well, so
if Spotlight doesn't index a file, neither app will find it.

> After much searching, and after discovering the location of the LaTeX class
> and style files with the help of Tools/TeX Information, which I just happened
> upon, I found the file. It's in the LyX application folder under
> /resources/layouts.
>
> When I search again, again using Path Finder, Finder, and Spotlight, it still
> doesn't show up. I must be making a mistake somewhere, but I sure can't see
> what it is.

No mistake; Spotlight ignores a lot of stuff that it patronizingly considers
lower-level and/or beyond the ken of ordinary users.  You need either to use
the (very powerful and useful) unix "locate" command from within a terminal or
a dedicated app like Find Any File. The locate database is not created by
default in OS X. To do so, and have the OS update it periodically, open
Terminal.app and enter:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

You'll get a warning that it will take some time to create the DB, but the
warning will go away once it's done.

Chris Menzel