On 27/01/12 10:20, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> I wonder whether the following could be done for Lyx without too
> much trouble:
>
> Often I found to get an error message after inserting a reference
> (with an uncompatible coding, e.g.). It takes quite some time to
> trace it to the specific citation, if a larger number of references
> are cited.

I had these wrong encoding issues very often - and they are horrible.
A much better approach would be to check if the characters in the .bib
files are compatible with the encoding selected, and highlights the
characters (and where they occur in the bib file!).

This could be done via a tool which could also be used for other files.

This would probably be much easier to implement then individually
disabling the references - and also spot errors which you haven't
encountered yet.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Lyx allows under outline to switch to 'list of citations'. If one
> could mark the citation(s!!, i.e. marking a bunch of citations
> simultaneously) assumed to cause the error directly in the list and
> takes these citations temporarily out (by, lets say, a right mouse
> click, and perhaps lyx puts these citations in a lyx note), a test
> run of lyx would show quickly which citations are causing the
> errror. An other click would switch back to the original
> situation.
>
> It would certainly be much faster as compared to putting the
> citations manually in a Lyx note for the trial.
>
> The same could perhaps be done for other lists or even the table of
>  contents.
>

> Wolfgang

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)