On 02/02/2012 11:04 AM, UD wrote:
IMHO it is unlikely that math-heavy documents are produced by anything but Latex/Lyx. I applaud the initiative to make MS-WORD/Lyx conversion easier. I am sure it will have
many appreciative users.

Unfortunately, there are math-heavy documents that are produced using Word. And not only is it difficult to translate such things into LyX or even LaTeX, they also don't load into Abiword or Open Office. I actually am a co-author of a math paper that I could not read except when my collaborator printed it out for me, since he only used Word -- and he is a prolific writer, having written at least 4 advanced mathematical texts, all of which I am sure the publishers had to typeset from scratch into LaTeX in order to publish. But I suspect that Word math translation will be a very difficult task which in the end will be pointless, anyway, since I am sure MS will continually change the encoding to prevent precisely this procedure.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
                --Ralph Waldo Emerson