On 2012-02-02, Rob Oakes wrote:

> How important is support of .doc?

IMO, you should concentrate on docx <-> lyx. One tool for one task.
If it turns out that parts can be reused for doc<->lyx later, fine.

How good/bad is the doc <-> docx conversion in OpenOffice/LibreOffice?

> If I go ahead with support for docx, I think I can write a full
> featured import/export plugin, including:

Good news.

> How to deal with maths is still up in the air. LyX offers the ability
> to typeset nearly anything mathematical, which means there's a very
> large set of markup to support. Exporting to MathML might be one
> option, but that would require Word users to install a plugin.

MathML is already implemented in LyX, so this would be a start.

A converter between (La)TeX math and the `Unicode Nearly Plain Text
Encoding of Mathematics` (http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn28/) would be a
much valued tool also outside of LyX.

Thanks,

Günter