On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM, David L. Johnson
<david.john...@lehigh.edu> wrote:
> On 02/18/2012 10:56 PM, Les Denham wrote:
>>

>> Firstly, the version of Linux is not all that important. I've had good
>> experiences with Ubuntu in the past, but thanks to some idiotic (in my
>> opinion) decisions recently by the maintainers of both Gnome and KDE
>> and by Ubuntu for its default desktop, I've given up on Ubuntu, Gnome,
>> and KDE, all three of which I have used happily in the past. For the
>> average user now I would recommend Linux Mint (which just works even
>> more smoothly than Ubuntu) and, for those willing to learn a little or a
>> lot about what is behind the pretty windows, either Sabayon or Gentoo.
>> Whichever distro you choose, change the window manager to XFCE or LXDE.
>

> Amen to that.  Gnome has, IMNSHO, shot themselves in the foot with a bloated
> interface that doesn't work on a lot of hardware with their version 3.  For
> that reason, you do need to be careful to not use a distribution that only
> uses Gnome.  It was a long annoying process for me to switch over after an
> upgrade dumped me into Gnome 3.  Xfce is fine, though, so and distribution
> that allows you to choose will be good.  Frankly, I don't know what Kde did,
> but my advice is to avoid Gnome.

This is starting to be more and more off-topic, but here are my 2
cents on distros:

I'm very happy with KDE and have been using it since version 3.4.
However, Kubuntu (Kde-based ubuntu distribution) is terrible and will
probably get worse now that Canonical has moved the only fully paid
maintainer to other projects. By "terrible" i mean that the twice
yearly major upgrades would routinely break my X11 setup, which meant
manually tweaking the xorg.conf file every time. Definitely not fun
(http://xkcd.com/963/  pretty much describes my life under kubuntu).

Switching to Archlinux solved all my problems, however. Kde is
rock-solid and fast (even on not so recent hardware). I never had any
problems

Stefano

> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that
> your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
>                -- LBJ

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org