On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:48:53 +0100
Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM, Steve Litt
[clip]

> > On the other hand, Debian's more likely to
> > have a *working* LyX :-)
> >
> This is hopefully changing. Now we have a PPA containing up-to-date
> releases of LyX. [1] I will announce it on the list shortly. (The PPA
> is still considered 'experimental' until more people test it and
> provide positive feedback. Please do backups.)
>
> Liviu
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/~lyx-devel/+archive/release

Liviu,

You should shout this from the rooftops. This should be on the LyX
Wiki's home page in +3 bold typesize. If this Personal Package Archive
(PPA) actually yields working LyXes, it changes everything.

From my perspective, a working PPA means no more stains on my
desk from the tears that I shed trying to ./configure;make;make install
and getting slapped down by dependencies at every turn. A working PPA
means an end to the annual pilgrimages to Xforms' gravestone, upon
which I placed flowers and mourned the hours lost to a particularly bad
Qt4 dependency way back in the early 1.6.x's.

All this could mean I regularly have a modern and working LyX.

Maybe some day the PPA could encompass Red Hat and other types of
packages. This is really cool. Thank you!

SteveT