On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM, John Kane <jrkrid...@inbox.com> wrote:
> I just installed tex Live 2011 on a small netbook Wubi installation of Ubuntu
> 11.10. The new tex installation is in /usr/local/texlive/2011.
>
> I would like to use it with LyX 2.0.0, installed from the Ubuntu
> repositories.  Currently Lyx is using tex Live 2009 which was installed with
> the LyX installation.  I realise this is an old LyX version but one step at a
> time.
>
> It looks fairly clear that I have to set some paths but just how to go about
> this is another matter.  Searching showed up a couple of ideas (see below).
> However Ignacio's and Stefano's posts assume some knowledge of Linux: I have
> almost none.
>
> Possibly I can modify the paths following Ignacio's advice with a judicious
> bit of editing.  Ideally I could substitute /i386-linux for /x86_64-linux
> However I have no clear idea where to put it.  Ignatio's advice is to put it
> in .bashrc but so far, I have not found it.  Could it be a difference in
> ubuntu 11.10?
> Currently when I do a tex -v I get:
> TeX 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
> kpathsea version 5.0.0
> Copyright 2009 D.E. Knuth.

John,

you definitely need to adjust the paths to the tex executables. How to
do so depends in part on how you start lyx.  Do you use the command
line, double-clicking the icon, or a menu?

I would first get the path rights from the command line and then move
on to the (possible, not necessary) issues of aligning the command
line with the graphic environment.

So:

1. Find where the TL2011 executables are. Since the new installation
is in /usr/local/tex, they should be just under it, either in
bin/x86-linux or bin/x86_64-linux. Try listing them to be sure, typing
the following in a shell (without the $> part):

$>ls /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86-linux/tex or
$>ls /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-linux/tex

or you may try the "locate" command

$>locate -b '\tex' | grep bin

will list the files called 'tex' with the word 'bin in their paths.

2. Once you know where the TL2011 executables are for sure, change the
path in a shell and check that the correct executable is found. Let's
say they are in /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-linux. Then

$>export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH

$> tex  -v

You should get the correct TL2011 version. if not, look back at step
one, be sure you got it right.

3. Now make your export permanent. You need to add the export line to
one of the files that is read by your shell interpreter (most likely
bash) when it starts. See whether you have a .bash_profile or a
.profile file in your home directory (notice the initial dot):

$>less ~/.bash_profile

$>less ~/.profile

if you do already have .bash_profile it is better to modify that one.
If you do not have it, but have a .profile, then modify .profile

Open either  file with an editor (vi, emacs, gedit, kate, etc) and add the line

$>export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH

at the end (As a godd practive, put a comment before it, preceded by
#. Something like "# Added by John to access texlive 2011 on
3/12/2012')

Save the file, close the shell (the terminal window), open another
shell (terminal window) and try the 'tex -v' command. You should get
the right version.

4. Now start lyx from that shell (just type lyx at the prompt),
reconfigure (Tools>>Reconfigure), exit lyx, and restart it. Check the
tex installation with Tools>>TeX Information, and clcik the check box
that says "Show path". If everythong is correct you should see a long
list of latex classes and other files all with the
/usr/local/texlive/2011 prefix.

5. Now you are all set for the command line. For the graphic
environment. If you use KDE, see my older post (which you referred to
in you rmessage). If you use gnome, I cannot help because I never used
it.

> When I try to invoked tlmgr I get:
> john@ubuntu:~$ tlmgr
> No command 'tlmgr' found, did you mean:
>  Command 'vlmgr' from package 'qdbm-util' (universe)
>  Command 'rlmgr' from package 'qdbm-util' (universe)
> tlmgr: command not found
>
> Any advice would be most welcome.

tlmgr came out in texlive 2010 I believe. OR possibly TL2011. Since
only tl2009 is in your path, it is not found. Once you fix the problem
with the paths it should show up.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org