On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:39:01 -0400
Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 03/19/2012 04:26 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:57:37 -0400
> > Richard Heck<rgh...@comcast.net>  wrote:

> >> These are warnings that LaTeX had to stretch the inter-word spacing
> >> more than it would like to do in order to fill the line. The first
> >> is the first paragraph of the Introduction and is probably caused
> >> by the newline, so you can ignore it. The second is the first line
> >> of the next paragraph, and if you look at it you can see how it is
> >> kind of stretched out. The way to fix it is to re-write the line a
> >> bit, or just not to bother.
> > One man's opinion: If you ever start tweaking content to satisfy
> > format, you'd might as well switch from LyX to Scribus or some other
> > coffee-table-book-authoring-tool.
> >
> This is a pure typesetting issue. I'm perfectly happy to re-write a
> line a teeny bit to get a better break, so it will look right.

But then you change something earlier in the book, and now your tweaked
line screws up again. It can go on forever.

> > I've often been able to use \begin{sloppy} and \end{sloppy} to make
> > LaTeX less pedantic about where to break a line, and thereby cure
> > both these warnings and the extra space. I've found this necessary
> > when a paragraph contains either a URL or a piece of monospaced
> > type.. I consider that acceptable if done in only a few instances.
> >
> If you're going to do this, then you can just ignore the warnings.

Except the sloppies often prevent your line from walking right off the
paper.  I'm willing to subject the reader to a little ugliness, but
having to guess part of it is a little too much to expect :-)

Thanks

SteveT