On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 07:40:42 +0100
Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > I've often been able to use \begin{sloppy} and \end{sloppy} to make
> > LaTeX less pedantic about where to break a line, and thereby cure
> > both these warnings and the extra space.
>
> Read this "essential guide to LaTeX2e usage"
> http://mirror.ctan.org/info/l2tabu/english/l2tabuen.pdf
>
> which lists among "the most severe mistakes in using LaTeX2e":
>
> Section 1.8: "Should I use \sloppy?" (the answer is: "Frankly
> speaking, the \sloppy switch should not be used at all.")
>
> They suggest this preamble code, which works very well for me:
>
> \tolerance 1414
> \hbadness 1414
> \emergencystretch 1.5em
> \hfuzz 0.3pt
> \widowpenalty=10000
> \vfuzz \hfuzz
> \raggedbottom

:-)

To me, Section 1.8 was written as an argument FOR use of \begin{sloppy}
\end{sloppy}. His #2 solution is to change your verbiage. All I can say
to that is that his priorities are very different from mine, and I
don't envy him if, after his tweaking, his editor suggests a change
before his tweak.

He then shows paragraphs with and without \sloppy. If I were reading
for information, and not as an artiste, I wouldn't notice the
difference.

I have no comments on his suggestions for the preamble code -- I might
try that myself.

Thanks

SteveT