El 22/03/2012 02:50 p.m., Richard Heck escribió:
On 03/22/2012 04:02 PM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

El 22/03/2012 12:36 p.m., David L. Johnson escribió:
On 03/22/2012 02:08 PM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:
I have an objection to the use of bibitems in LyX: If you use BibTeX you can choose the bibliographic standard such as Vancouver, etc, besides the BibTeX sorts bibliography items in the required order acordingly to the standard; with LyX's bibitems you simply cannot do this and is like turning back to MS Office. Is this a bug?

No, it's not a bug. Perhaps it's old-fashioned, but I've never seen the need to bother with bibtex. Most of my papers have maybe 5-10 references, that is certainly easy enough to do "by hand".

When I wrote my MSc thesis I must handled with 80 citations in a 100 page piece of work, imagine sort them one by one and changing from order of apearance to alphabetical just to adjust your work to the requirements of the institute!!! It is indeed old fashioned, you must tell the software what kind of bibliography you need and it must automatically reshape and sort it. BibTeX does this work, why LyX can't?

Sorry, I don't understand. Of course you can use BibTeX with LyX. Or you can just use bibitems. It's up to you. If you use bibitems, though, then you have to sort them. Why? Because....
Off course I can use BibTeX with LyX, but to generalize the use of it as a redaction system editors will prefer, it is better to have all the main things in a solely archive, not figures off course, but the bibliography...

As initial step I would like to recommend developers to include an option to export bibitems to BibTeX, and a final option should be the use of BibTeX to produce the bibliography from bibitems. This is not too hard to do since most of the work is already done!

To do this, you'd have to be able to figure out who the author is, what the title is, etc, etc, etc. It is not going to be possible to figure that out in any reliable way.

Richard
By using the same algoritms that are already used for the modernCV example (separators }{)

Alex