On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
Marcelo Acuña <mv...@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> > Jürgen
>
> > > \tolerance is [...]
> >
> > thanks

> > >I would try \enlargethispage{10pt} (or any value of your choice) on
> > >the respective page.
> >
> >  Yes. I use it, but I want a global solution, not to go page for
> > page and put a command that may be a headhache. I don`t know if it
> > is possible.
> >
> > Marcelo
> [StevET]
> You basically mean Widow/Orphan protection, right?
>

> I get Widow/Orphan protection by mean of usual stuff in preamble.
>
> (This leads me to believe that Lyx could add the option for a single
> click add these commands to avoid problems for newbies.)
>
> My problem is:  I have two columms in all works. Time to time, I get
> a premature page break (column break) and a huge and ugly blank space
> and disbalanced columns in a page.
>  I need to get back some text from the next column. And  I want to
> have a global solution in the preamble  for this problem and not a
> case by case ERT workaround.
>
> Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,

Yes, case by case workarounds, whether ERT or content modifications,
reduce the quality of life.

Two columns is challenging because each column is narrow relative to
the number of characters in a line, so you have to settle for more
intercharacter and interword variation. Look carefully at any newspaper
and you'll see that even they have these almost unacceptable variations.

I'm not quite sure what would cause a huge vertical empty space except
a heading (section, subsection, etc) or a graphic. What I'd recommend
is to find each of these huge empty spaces and try to find what's in
common with each. Another troubleshooting technique might be to make a
small test document that incorporates one of those huge spaces and not
much else, then export to LaTeX, and then on the command line compile
with LaTeX and watch the warnings. Then try to fix it in LaTeX, and
once you can do that, see if you can find a global fix.