On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM, William Hanson <whan...@umn.edu> wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> I don't know what you mean when you say I should "run latex and then bibtex
> on your
> file".  I've already exported my original LyX file using your
> "File>>Export>>Latex(plain)" instruction.  So I now have both a .lyx and a
> .tex version of my file.  I am using bibtex, by the way.

I meant you need to run the latex program on the .tex file you
exported from Lyx. How to do that depends (slightly) on which platform
you work on.
But forget about that: I just checked the Springer instructions for
Philosophical studies,  and, as I suspected, they accept multi-file
manuscript zipped into a single archive. So my suggestion is to avoid
the complications of extracting the references and instead pack both
your lyx-exported .tex file and your bibliography (in a bib file) into
a single archive and then upload that.
How to do that, again, depends on your platform. If you are on Windows
there are many utilities that allow you to create zip archives. I
don't use Windows, so I can't be precise, but I vaguely remember a
program called  WinZip that did just that. Windows users on this list
may provide more specific advice.
On lInux, you'd just use the zip command from the command line. Open a
terminal window, move to the directory where your tex and bib files
are:

$cd /my/working/directory

and then issue the zip command:

$zip my_manuscript_archive my_file.tex my_references.bib

that will produce a file called  my_manuscript_archive.zip, which you
can then upload to the Springer site

On the Mac, you can do the same thing, I believe. Mac users may want
to provide more specific advice.

Note that Springer usually requires that your .bib file contains only
the references you use in your manuscript. If you have a  bib file
with other references (as most people do), you should save it as a new
file and then eliminate all the extra references (how to do that
depends on which software you use to manage your references).

> Since you're a philosopher and at Texas A&M, you must know Chris Menzel.

I certainly do. We were even in the same dept for a few years.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org