On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Alex Vergara Gil <a...@cphr.edu.cu> wrote:
> El 20/04/2012 08:22 a.m., Manolo Martínez escribió:

I guess one way of looking at this---implicit in many of the negative
reactions to your idea of integrating a reference manager into
LyX---is to consider whether BibTeX files really are text files. Many
people, myself included, would say no.

Bibtex files are database files that just happen to be human-readable.
 They follow a formal syntax (no matter how loosely defined) and are
best managed with applications that enforce that syntax. Manual
editing is inherently error-prone---we are not Turing-machines, after
all, and, therefore, very time consuming. Witness the abundance of
syntax checkers, pretty-printers, etc that flourished in the early
years of Bibtex.   Hence, reference managers are the tools of choice,
of which JabRef is an excellent example (and  BibDesk is even better,
unfortunately it's for Mac only).

Moreover, it is not even clear that BibTeX will remain the only
database format for TeX users. Biber, a much more flexible and heavily
developed BibTeX replacement, is starting to integrate other formats
(such as EndNote). One more reason, in my opinion, to keep LyX away
from these complexities.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org