On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Alasdair Reed <alasd...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 08:20:23 -0500
> stefano franchi <stefano.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Alasdair Reed
>> <alasd...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> > Is that right?  Which logfile should I check?  The
>>
>> You can check the Latex log by going to Document>>Latex Log
>> The first line will tell you which version of of Texlive LyX is using
>>
>> > dialogue /documents/settings/fonts/use non-Tex fonts via
>> > XeTex/LuaTex, is greyed out. The package fontspec needs to be
>> > installed to use this dialogue box, it is installed in TexLive2011
>> > (/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.sty)
>> > on my system, but the box is still greyed out. Do you need to put
>> > \usepackage{fontspec} in the preamble of every document to use
>> > XeTex ?
>> >

>> Tools>>Tex information will tell you which Tex packages Lyx is aware.
>> If you check the box
>> called "show path" it will tell you where the packages are.
>>
>> the fontspec package should be loaded automatically if you choose
>> non-TeX fonts. You can check if that's the case by choosing
>> View>>Source, and checking the box "Full source." Scroll back to the
>> beginning of the source doc and you should be able to see the
>> \fontspec command.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Stefano
>>

> Thanks Stefano,
> Document >> Latex Log is greyed out

It won't be activated until you comiple something. Create a new Lyx
file with just a word in in it and then do View>>pdflatex (for
instance). After successful compilaiton you should be able to see the
log file

> Tools >> Tex with "show path" is showing packages
> from /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/generic/foo/foo.sty (for example)
> so it would seem lyx is not aware of TexLive2011 in /usr/local/

Right, I guess the problem is that lyx finds the ubuntu packages
before it hits texlive.

First of all: have you reconfigured Lyx (Tools>>Reconfigure)? It may
be all you need.

If that does not work, a couple of options:

1. Uninstall the Ubuntu text-live package. This may not be feasible,
though, because you probably have it as a dependence of Lyx and
possibly other packages
There is a way to replace Ubuntu's outdated texlive with a "dummy"
package but I am afraid I forget how to do it. Other people on the
list may know (I left Ubuntu some time ago).

2. Check the order of your executable path in your $PATH environmental
variable. In fact, open a terminal and do

$which pdflatex

you should get something like:
/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/x86_64-linux/pdflatex

and then do something like:

$kpsewhich fontspec.sty

and you shoud get
/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.sty

 If not, try

$printenv $PATH

Do you see the path to the texlive2011 installation occurring before
the path to the Ubuntu installed executables?

S.

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org