s nedunuri <nedunuri <at> cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> I just tried it and I cannot get it to work. All that happens is that
> the text "[totalwidth=50mm]" shows up in the 1st column. Yes I entered
> it in TeX mode, right after where it says "Columns (center aligned)" in red.

You asked about the Columns environment before.  Columns (center aligned) is
different -- it does not seem to accept options.  As far as I can tell, Columns
(center aligned) is functionally the same as Columns (both center things
vertically), so Columns with the width argument should work for you.  You can
also add other options in ERT.  For instance, Columns with [b,totalwidth=60mm]
in ERT will bottom-align the columns while setting the combined width.

Paul