On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Richard Heck <rgheck <at> comcast.net> wrote:

> On 04/26/2012 11:02 AM, David L. Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On 04/26/2012 10:30 AM, Rashif Ray Rahman wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I've not been a LyX user for long but am going to write a 300-page academic
>>> paper with it for the final typesetting and formatting. I've practised on
>>> and off for the past few months but one thing that has always troubled me
>>> is how I'm unable to scroll with the keyboard (up and down arrow keys). I'd
>>> like to be rid of the mouse if possible.
>>>
>>> When I hold a particular directional key for up to 20 secs it appears to
>>> work but as if it's in slow motion. Qt shouldn't be having any such
>>> scrolling problem, so I haven't been able to troubleshoot this any further.
>>>
>> I don't see this behavior at all.  The only thing that slows down scrolling
>> with the arrows is if the cursor enters a math formula.  Then it runs
>> through all the superscripts and subscripts, but still it is reasonably fast.
>>
>> You also might try using the <Pageup> and <Pagedown> keys.
>>
>> What system are you using?  Mine is debian testing (a linux variant), on a
>> fast machine -- but it works well on even my slow netbook.
>>
> There have been occasional reports of this kind of problem, usually
> connected, as far as we can tell, to interactions issues between LyX and
> certain video drivers. So I'll ask, too: What system is this and, if it's
> Linux, what desktop, what window manager, what X drivers?
>
> Richard

Hey guys

I wasn't subscribed when I sent the first e-mail so this reply might
mess up a few things (using GMail so can't edit headers). And since
then there have been a number of replies.

Anyway I should've mentioned that I'm on Arch Linux and Intel graphics
(GM45 Express Chipset; probably GMA 4500MHD gpu).

The good news is all of a sudden I do not see the "stuck" behaviour.
It does scroll, but awfully slowly. Both up down and sideways (I like
to read while holding down the right arrow key). There have been some
Intel driver and Mesa updates in the recent past, so it is possible
(though with a great level of uncertainty) they did something (good).

So the bad news is, well, the scrolling is slow. The raster graphics
system switch did not appear to help in my case. The bottomline is
that if at least one other person cannot reproduce this (as in,
scrolling works for you like it does in any other app in this world)
then it is unlikely to be a LyX bug.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1