Hello,

My preferred solutions are:

For a graphical interface based solution:

- Ipe can export to EPS and PDF - http://*ipe*7.sourceforge.net/  (possible
to install it in different OSs)  Ipe has a somewhat strange interface, but
it is very powerfil, when you grok it.

- JpicEdt can export to PSTRicks - http://jpicedt.sourceforge.net  (Java,
so it is compatible with your OS)  Works as it is supposed, but not really
updated anymore, I am afraid, but it is in Java, so remains perfectly
compatible.

For drawing pictures by code:

- Tikz (included in your distribution as a Latex package):
http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/ : more complex to master, but the
pure Latex solution, extremely powerful.

On OSX, I also like to use EazyDraw + LatexIt for the inclusion of the
texts and equations in the graphics.

I hope this helps.

Murat

--