Thank you Steve and Murat.

My OS is of course Windows (Vista Ultimate), so the solutions have
to work in that environment.

Typically I would use Ventura Publisher but, it seems that is now
an abandoned product of Corel Corporation, so migration is the
obvious path.

I know a little of the various file formats, and some tools from
Adobe might work.  I am not so familiar with these tools, however,
so some time to review will be necessary.

I am also noticing an apparent failure of the tabular operator
not to work.  In particular, I am setting columns with C and p{2cm}
the p parameter column does not yield a change in column width.

I would like to have a two or three column table, where each column
is itself a two column table, with the three major columns each
separated by some significant space.  These three sets of two columns
define a coding (in binary) and a mnemonic.  So, it would look like

 000000 RX              001000 LDR              100000 SR

What I get does not have the columns aligned in centered form; left
and right are constantly changing, so columns are messy, or even
hard to see.

When I gain some more competence in TeX, I will return to using LyX.

Thanks.

wrb