It also works for me on other machines (Lubuntu 32 bit, Win-XP and Lubuntu 64 bit), but not on this one (Lubuntu 64 bit). The only thing that is "special" here is that I had at some point compiled Lyx from sources here. However, when I noticed this problem with the spellchecker, I uninstalled Lyx and installed it from the repositories. However, the spellchecker is still not working-- all the relevant boxes are grayed out. ;-(

EK