On 09/05/2012 10:40 AM, John Kane wrote:
To David and Rainer,

To continue the saga I renamed my texlive folder in /usr/local to oldtexlive and now get :

john@john-K53U:~$ texlive --version
texlive: command not found
john@john-K53U:~$  tlmgr --version
No command 'tlmgr' found, did you mean:
 Command 'vlmgr' from package 'qdbm-util' (universe)
 Command 'rlmgr' from package 'qdbm-util' (universe)
tlmgr: command not found

john@john-K53U:~$ which latex
/usr/bin/latex

Interestingly enough when I do a ls in /bin I no longer seem to see anything called latex

Did you before? I didn't notice that. My latex executable is /usr/bin/latex.

However much to my surprise LyX is still running happily and the tex information shows
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/akletter/akletter.cls
so it looks like LyX has found something, presumabley ver.2012 since the old path was usr/local/texlive2011.

Right. What happened was that the system (not Lyx itself, probably) now found the "right" latex, and that gives the paths to support files like that.

Now, presumably I can reinstall a version of tlmgr and have another go at installing leadpar. Or should I expect it to have installed automatically with ver. 2012?

Maybe not.  I have neither tlmgr nor leadpar in my TeXlive 2012.

--

David L. Johnson

"Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,  and benevolence,
were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of
water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
                --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"