John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca> writes:

> ________________________________
>  From: Alan L Tyree <alanty...@gmail.com>

<SNIP>
> Unfortunately that is what I did. I installed Tex Live 2012 using the
> software centre since synaptics did not seem to have the 2012 version and any
> manual instructions on how to update were close to jibberish to me.
>
> Now I cannot find it, yet both the software centre and synaptics report that
> it is installed. I know I have Tex Live 2011 installed in /user etc where one
> would expect it.
> John@john-K53U:~$ which latex
> /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/latex
>
> Actually just to check things out I installed abiwork using apt-install a few
> hours ago with no problem!
>
> I expect that I am missing something really basic but where I have no idea.
>
> What I do find interesting is that synaptics does not seem to see TeX Live
> 2011 yet it is clearly there and LyX is using it.

Sorry for the noise, John. I should have read the whole thread more
carefully.

I have a machine where I did a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 just a week
ago, so it is pretty clean. I get:

alant@windy:~$ which latex
/usr/bin/latex

Further investication shows that this is a symlink to
/usr/bin/pdftex.I'm not sure why you get the full path.

Looking at the Ubuntu Software Centre shows me only texlive 2009 (rather
old), but no other texlive options. I'm not sure where you got the 2011
or 2012 packages. Have you added a different repository?

Cheers,
Alan

--
Alan L Tyree           http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan