On 11 December 2012 03:01, stefano franchi <stefano.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <rant>
> Not true. LyX/Latex's benefits are not limited to typesetting equations
> (although it does a much better job that its competition in that area). A
> Latex-typeset document looks better in many other respects---from
> paragraph-division and typesetting (in spite of recent improvements in
> Word's algorithms), to consistent application of style, down to small but
> crucial things such as determining font sizes/leading[1].
>
> The reason why Social sciences/Humanities are happy with Word/Endnote is
> (historically speaking) different: authors used to submit  Word files (or,
> earlier, Wordstar) and the publisher would import and typeset with real
> typesetting software. Such programs (and still are) were usually very bad at
> typesetting complex mathematical formulas unless each single formula was
> tweaked by hand, a very painful and expensive proposition. That was prompted
> D Knuth to invent TeX---the poor quality of professional typesetting
> software for math, not the similar but irrelevant problem in word processing
> program. The lack of equations in the Humanities/Social Sciences made the
> traditional process working smooth and insured that the typographical
> quality of publications in the fields was high, or at least acceptable.
> Authors used primitive (typographically speaking) software, publishers used
> real typesetters and everyone was happy.
>
> Except...that desktop publishing happened and publishers started to cut down
> on costs by using word as a typesetting program. Even worse, when they
> started asking for pdf,  camera-ready  they would provide typographical
> specs as series of Word instructions, since they do not know any better (all
> the typesetters having long gone). The result is that the vast majority of
> Humanities/Social Sciences journal and and increasing number of Humanities
> *books*  are now typographically ugly and often barely readable
>
> The same radical cost-cutting  measures took place  in the Natural
> sciences/Engineering, of course. But since *they* were already using
> Latex/TeX, the quality of their journal and books was only minimally
> affected (although it was: it takes a truly capable typesetter to achieve
> high results in Latex--relying on standard classes is only the starting
> point. And most authors not named Knuth are not great typesetters).
>
> That's why we in the Humanities are stuck with Word as a publishing
> tool---because it used to work well as a drafting tool when the industry
> worked differently, not because we do not use equations.
>
> </rant>

Thank you Stefano - that was exactly the background story I was hoping
someone would fill in. My brief statement on equations was just a
layman's generalisation on why faculty would go through the trouble to
suggest LaTeX to students (surely, STEM lecturers would have _more_
reason).

TeX/LaTeX/LyX is definitely not _only_ about equations. I recently
edited and "typeset" (like you said, no one better than Knuth,
especially not someone who only played with his father's relic
typewriter as a toddler) a social science dissertation completely in
LyX with some LaTeX fiddling.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1