On 12/16/2012 10:59 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
I've written a Python script for converting .lyx files to XML.
There's no DTD or schema, but it's a straightforward mapping of .lyx
format to XML.  Things like \being_layout ... \end_layout become
<layout ...>...</layout> and so on.  This is much more faithful a
mapping to XML than LyXHTML, or any of the other XML export formats,
therefore it's much more amenable to transformations via XSLT.  I
think it should be easy to produce an XSL for mapping back to .lyx,
which should also help produce import from various XML schemas
functionality.

Would this be accepted?  Mind if I use a BSD license?
I don't see any objection to this. I think we'd be happy to install a converter for this, too, so the transformation was generally available. If, however, we are going to install it, then I think it should probably be GPL2, for consistency, though other people will know better than I. In any event, this should go to lyx-devel.

There still are long-term plans to convert the native LyX format to XML. But it turns out to be more work than one might expect.

rh