On 01/01/2013 05:16 AM, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
Sometime in the first half of last year (2012) I discovered that LyX allowed one to export from a file with extension .lyx to a file with extension .lyx. What was needed to make the process work was a different file format name, something other than Lyx. The point of doing so was that during the export process one could manipulate the file in various ways with a script and then do a buffer-reload to overwrite the current document with the altered file. With the speed of modern computers, the whole process felt as if it were built-in to LyX -- there was no interruption to work flow. Rather like ERT, the process offered a means of plugging gaps in LyX's functionality (like sorting for instance).

I accumulated a variety of scripts to perform a variety of tasks, thinking I needed a new file format name for each script. That became unwieldy. Then it occurred to me that only one script was needed, a master script, which would launch a secondary script to do the actual export processing depending on a signal in the document. The signal is provided by a custom inset. This is 'the pLyX system' offered in the attached files to this posting and in two associated postings.

I would suggest that, for now, you create a page on the LyX wiki, and put all of this explanation, and these files, there. Better yet, for the files, create a git repo on github (or somewhere) and point at it.

Presumably, this could evolve to the point we'd include it in LyX, but obviously we need to see how it works first.

Richard